Sunday, November 12, 2006

"There can be no 'them' in America. There's only us." - Bill Clinton

Well, fuck. i was originally gonna write about the US midterm elections but, I got busy, and forgot to. And now, it's almost Thanksgiving, and the election's so far gone, I'm out of a topic to write about. Meh.

Well, not completely. A couple of weeks ago, the Arizona Comic Book Association held a charity sketch drive at a local comic shop, Spazdog Comics. It was fun, I met a lot of really great people, drew my fingers off, and we raised a total of $102.50 for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and then our host, Shawn at Spazdog matched it giving us a total of $205.00!! And it got me thinking. We're coming into the holiday season, the season of giving and of taking. As Americans, we don't celebrate the holidays for the reason they were instituted for the most part. Which is fine by me, since as you may know, I'm NOT a religious person. I don't celebrate Christmas to commemorate the birth of Jesus, I celebrate for family and happiness. I love giving presents to people I care about. I hate the commercialization of the season. I hate that this Friday, little old ladies will be beating each up other to get the last fucking Elmo doll or DVD player at Wal*Mart. I hate that TV channels are showing toy commercials to teach the little kids that mommy and daddy must give you the super-flashy-bomb toy for Spendmas™, or you just aren't as special as the kids who have gotten one. The holidays have become more about who can spend more money than who rather than about spending time with family, celebrating togetherness, and giving. So, I'm imploring you to give. Give some canned food to the food pantry, give a toy to the local Toys for Tots, when you pass the old man with the bell on the way into Wal*Mart, give him a dollar. Just give. No matter how bad off you are, there's probably someone worse off than you. It'll make you feel better, it'll make someone's life a bit better, and it'll help make the World a better place to live.

Art Time!!! what do I have for you today? Let's See.... how about a t-shirt design?
As you may know, I'm starting a new Cafepress shop called Monkey Minion Press. so, I've been working on new designs for t-shirts around the clock. Here are a couple of designs from the initial batch:



Let Me know what you think by clicking on the cafepress link on the sidebar--->
and buying some shirts or magnets!

Peace out until next time! Thanks!

5 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger morealyera said...

Congrats on the fund-raising, dane! You must feel awesome about that.

Cute new designs, too! :)

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Dane said...

yeah. it's a good feeling. I do wish we could have raised more, tho.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome shirt designs, I love the type on the Fanboys one. Can't wait to see, *cough* and eventually buy a shirt.

Grats on the Fundraising as well.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Dane said...

if you want one of these shirts, let me know. I took down the cafepress site, since they were basically ineffectual and costing me money for no reason. But I would be more than happy to put up a shirt for sale on request.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dane, I love the devil made me do it design.....think you could make a child's small t with that? It really fits Kota:))

let me know how much

me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home