Saturday, September 02, 2006

When we played softball, I'd steal second base, feel guilty and go back. - Woody Allen

Wow. Long time, no see, huh? If anyone's still reading this, congratulations, you're more dedicated than I am. :)

Well, Phoenix Comicon is just around the corner. We've been working our asses off on this convention, and I think it's gonna pay off. The past few weeks have been a bit different for me, as I've been designing the program guide exclusively. No meetings, no prizes, nothing. Just the guide. And I gotta say; it's looking damned sweet. I'd hate to brag, but I think it's gonna be one of the best looking program guides out there right now. We've got Mike Mayhew doing our cover, too. So, that's awesome. GET YER TICKETS!!!!

So this past week, Ashlie and I went to the first baseball game I've been to since I was a wee-lad and went to see the Rockies back when they were still at Mile-High Stadium (before Coors Field was built). We went to see the Diamondbacks get stomped by the Padres. It was fun. I'm not into sports really, but even I was getting into it, and yelling at the players, and cheering. I'll post some pics later.

Comics: I love 'em. Wasn't sure if I'd said that yet. Between Ash and I, we get 32 monthly comics. Not including miniseries, and oneshots. So, I figured that if there was anyone who reads this blog who is uninitiated, I'd give a rundown of some of my favorites.

Birds of Prey (DC): This is an awesome book. I originally grabbed it off the stands to show my girlfriend (now wife), to get her into comics. It's a girl comic, what do I (hardcore fanboy from way back) care about a girl comic. WRONG. This is consistently one of the best books out there. Gail Simone writes it, and they've gone through a few artists since we started reading, but it's always damned entertaining. Simone makes you care about these women as she puts them through their paces every month. Good stuff.
Ulitmate Spider-man (Marvel): This book really boils Spider-man down to his essence. It's a well-crafted story, written by master Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Mark Bagley (who is leaving the title @ issue #110. I'm very sad about this, BTW). Bendis and Bagley have taken Lee and Ditko's seminal creation and truly made it theirs, without completely ruining what makes the character great in the first place.
I'll have more next time. Maybe I can make this a recurring thing? Let me know if you out thar in the internets would like that.

ART TIME!!!!

Waddaya know I have some new art to share!!11!!11!!!!!ELEVEN!!! Woot. So, what to tell ya... This is something I came up with this morning. I kinda like it, and I may make it into a shirt design (if I can ever get the frakatka cafe press thing to work...:(). Everyone say 'HI' to Clucky!

2 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger morealyera said...

I love him! I think that would make a great t-shirt. :)

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey D, Welcome back to the blog scene, glad you've updated! I know what you mean on the program guide, doing the exact same thing for Another Anime Con in Manchester, NH...Crazy crazy stuff. I love the new piece of artwork as well.

Hey if you were following it, I'd love to here your take on Marvel's Civil War Series, sounds like a great comic and something I might pick up.

Well, have a great week, look forward on the next post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home