Saturday, June 03, 2006

There is still no cure for the common birthday. - John Glenn

Sorry I haven't been updating regularly.

Well, it's my b-day today. The big 25. Yippee. So far, it's a bit underwhelming. I'm a quarter of a century old, and I just feel tired and worn out. Like a piece of cloth thats been stretched really tight and rubbed against some rocks.

It's days like this when you notice how alone you are. My wife & I moved to Tempe in January of 2005. Last year's birthday came & went with very little fuss. My wife took me out to dinner and got me a gift (an awesome one, btw. Thanks again, Babe). My coworkers at the time didn't care, but that was alright because I didn't like them anyway. My family didn't call. My friend's from back home didn't call. But, I had my wife (who spent my birthday arguing with the Cingular wireless customer service rep.), and that was enough.

For some reason, I expected this year to be different. My wife wished me Happy Birthday this morning as I was getting ready for work. My friends at graphicdesignforum.com started a thread doing the same. I appreciate it. But, once again, no calls from friends or family.

Maybe I'm just being a crybaby. Maybe I should bite the bullet and grow the fuck up. But screw that. I spent too many years trying to regain some childhood. I grew up too fuckin' fast to wanna spend anymore time as an adult than I absolutely have to. I want my present, my card, my cake and my Chuck'E Cheese's party, Goddamn it! Is that too much to ask?

Alright. Pity party off.

This week, I started a cafepress shop called Monkey Minion Press (cafepress.com/monkeyminionprs) There's nothing there yet, but there will be soon. Keep an eye open. This illustration will be the inaugural design. So far, people seem to like the bottom one best, so that'll be the one to be printed. I may use the other as a poster or something at some point.




End Transmission. Dane out.


5 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger morealyera said...

aw, Dane! You know I'd wish you a happy day ANY day.

Unfortunately I don't celebrate birthdays, so all you got from me was permission to continue to go pantsless... ;) - but I trust you won't hold that against me.

Just remember, friends are the family that you get to CHOOSE. :)

And as for growing up, who needs it? Personally, I'm having fun riding my bike through the mud and playing video games. I'll meet you at Chuck E Cheese. =^..^=

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Coool monkey!! Mappy B-day!

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger LDahl said...

...aww, you are just getting the diaper smell off of you! I opt'ed out of the growing up thing a long, long time ago and I still have fun and I still don't know what I'll be doing next year.

Your Logo is fantastic!!! I predict you will have a very interesting life and you will feel younger with each passing year.

(Jon always calls me before I can call him on his birthday:))) come to Kansas, I'll bake you a cake.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Dane said...

Ldahl,

too bad i didn't know that when i lived there! thanks.

Thanks, Alina

Mo,

that permission was one of the best gifts you could have given me, anyway. :D

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sent you a card...and i could've sworn i called you....sorry


Wasn't one chuck e cheese bday party enough for you???? It was for me:))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home